Re: texlive-basic_2005-1_i386.changes REJECTED

* Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> [051128 11:20]:
> Dear all!
>
> Please comment, not only on the package naming, but also on the
> bin-to-source mapping.
>

> texlive-documentation-source	57M
> ----------------------------
> Reasoning: The documenatation is actually in a specific language, so we use
> the respective language code.
> texlive-documentation-base	texlive-base-doc
> texlive-documentation-bulgarian texlive-bg-doc
> texlive-documentation-czechslovak texlive-cs-doc
> texlive-documentation-dutch 	texlive-nl-doc
> texlive-documentation-english	texlive-en-doc
>

> Best wishes
>
> Norbert

In [1], Thiemo Seufer asserts that "FWIW, Debian package names prefer
e.g. foo-en-uk-doc over foo-documentation-ukenglish."  I completely
disagree.

There is already precedent for using foo-doc-fr ordering of -doc-LANG:
aptitude-doc-XX, udo-doc-XX, mdnkit-doc-XX, otrs-doc-XX,
speechd-el-doc-cs (the -el- is emacs lisp, -cs is Czech),
speech-dispatcher-doc-cs, lifelines-doc-sv, samba-doc-ja.

I saw no examples of -XX-doc with XX a language.

The most notable exceptions to PKG-doc-XX were doc-linux-XX and
doc-debian-XX, but in these cases, you can consider 'doc-linux' and
'doc-debian' to be the package names, rather than "documentation for the
linux or debian package."  And, the -XX still came after.

I think -doc-XX is more natural, and I don't see why in [2] Thiemo said
that it made pattern matching harder.  In fact, I think it is easier to
find documentation for the foo package with foo-doc; then you can easily
see what languages are available.  Suppose you speak German and are
looking for documentation for package foo.  You search for foo-doc; it
lists several, but not foo-doc-de.  However, it lists foo-doc-fr, and
you speak French as a second language.  Weeding out foo-docutils with
the -doc-XX ordering is at least as easy as finding doc packages in all
languages with Thiemo's ordering.

I am not currently a texlive user, but as a Debian user, I would much
prefer the current precedent rather than your proposed -XX-doc.

...Marvin

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/11/msg01661.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/11/msg01673.html