Re: possible freetype transition; improved library handling needed for all C/C++ packages

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 02:31:05PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 11:48:37PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > g++ -Wall `"/usr/bin/wx-config" --cxxflags` -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -g -O2  -o tqsl  tqsl.o extwizard.o tqslwiz.o dxcc.o stationdial.o qsodatadialog.o tqslvalidator.o tqsl_prefs.o wxutil.o -pthread -lwx_gtk-2.4 -ltqsllib
> >
> > However, my built package depends on zlib1g, which it doesn't use
> > directly and doesn't -l during link.
>
> ./tqsl.cpp:#include <zlib.h>
> And on line 691 you have a gzFile, 1157 calls gzopen, ...

So it does. (And so much for my grep skills.)

> Your configure script also checks for it, and adds it.  linking

Not as of 1.11-3, where I removed the checks for libz, libexpat and
libssl. The latter two definitely aren't needed, and do disappear from
the binary package's Depends line as a result.

> tqslcert to -lz doesn't seem to be needed though.
>
> > I'd welcome any suggestions on how this might be... dpkg-shlibdeps bug?
>
> This is a linker feature which I dislike.  It adds missing
> libraries if one of the libraries you link to happens to be
> linked to the one you need.  For more info see:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2005-09/msg00200.html

Interesting. Thanks.

Hamish