Re: possible freetype transition; improved library handling needed for all C/C++ packages

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 11:48:37PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> I've trimmed the configure scripts to avoid this, leaving me with the
> link commands for the two binaries being:
>
> g++ -Wall `"/usr/bin/wx-config" --cxxflags` -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -g -O2  -o tqsl  tqsl.o extwizard.o tqslwiz.o dxcc.o stationdial.o qsodatadialog.o tqslvalidator.o tqsl_prefs.o wxutil.o -pthread -lwx_gtk-2.4 -ltqsllib
>
> However, my built package depends on zlib1g, which it doesn't use
> directly and doesn't -l during link.

./tqsl.cpp:#include <zlib.h>

And on line 691 you have a gzFile, 1157 calls gzopen, ...

Your configure script also checks for it, and adds it.  linking
tqslcert to -lz doesn't seem to be needed though.

> I'd welcome any suggestions on how this might be... dpkg-shlibdeps bug?

This is a linker feature which I dislike.  It adds missing
libraries if one of the libraries you link to happens to be
linked to the one you need.  For more info see:
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2005-09/msg00200.html

Kurt