Re: dpkg-sig support wanted?

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 04:37:05PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > Personally, I think it's cryptographic snake oil, at least in so far
> > A signed deb has a seal of procedence and allows one to track the path it
> > made through the system, and who changed it.
>
> That's what the .changes file is for.

Well, assuming .changes is not snake-oil, then why should in-deb sigs be
called snake-oil?  After all, according to you they essentially do the same
job.

Still, .changes file do not carry all the information in-deb sigs do
(although they could, if we sign the .changes files more than once -- but
changes are DAK will croak on that too).  They're not stored along with the
.debs anywhere (we could change that too, I suppose... but I doubt one extra
file per source in the archive will be welcome).  They are *far* from being
as simple to handle as in-deb signatures.

Not to mention that doing the inverse path (from .deb to .changes) is far
more complicated than using in-deb sigs, and is only possible in fact if you
either always respect some sort of naming convention to go from source
package to .changes (and this *IS* a kludge), or if you read all .change
files hunting for the file you want in the MD5s.

> Uh, packages not uploaded to the official Debian archive can do whatever
> they want.

Sure. But I for one won't be building all debs twice, and many others won't
either.  And proper support for in-deb signatures means added functionality
in a lot of other utilities that won't happen if Debian doesn't use in-deb
signatures, etc.

So, it makes a damn big difference if the Debian archive accepts signed debs
or not.

  Henrique Holschuh