Re: too long to build 2.6.14.2 kernel

Yes! you are right.

I try to produce some statistical data with different kernels. The latest 2.4.32 takes
an average 6 minutes to build (~500 objects). But 2.6.0 takes more than
half an hour for (~3000objects and more). The latest 2.6.14.2 one hour and more,
and again we are talking for thousands of object files. I was using a 2GHz Pentium
for the builds.

Thank for your replies.
Andeas

On 11/22/05, Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@sukria.net> wrote:
Le mardi 22 novembre 2005 à 10:54 +0000, Andreas Orfanos a écrit :

> The delay was not due to lots of new modules, it was clear that the
> incremental list of compiled components on the screen was moving
> up slow. I remember kernel builds where ultra fast, couldn't watch on
> screen what it was compiled.

Hmmm, sounds like your are mixing 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels. Since the 2.6
branch, the generated output is much less verbose than it was with the
2.4 one.

My out-of-topic point: if you want to boost your kernel cooking and you
have a couple of boxes around, give a try at `distcc' ;)

--
Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@sukria.net >