Re: How to deal with dependencies/conflics on third party packages

Hello Steve,

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 10:23:58AM +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:
>> I've got a bug report (#336527) my package bootchart-view do not work
>> with j2re1.3. But j2re1.3 is not in Debian. Can I set a conflict upon a
>> packages that is not in Debian? But if it do not work with j2re1.3 it
>> should more than ever not work with older version. But I would assume
>> older version have different packages names. So I must add a list of
>> packages names (j2re1.3 j2re1.2 j2re1.1), because I can not use the
>> version clause (j2re1.3 (<< 1.3)). So what should I do?
> "Does not work with j2re1.3" means you should be depending on what it *does*
> work with, not trying to conflict with (unrelated) packages that don't
> satisfy the dependency.

All packages in Debian they provide java-virtual-machine work with
bootchart-view. But all alternative JVMs do only work with svg output and
only Sun's JVM support png. This is the reason, why I don't want restrict
the dependencies upon the JVMs in Debian.

> The problem here is that bootchart-view depends on '| java-virtual-machine',
> which does not satisfy its runtime needs.  Depend on something more
> appropriate; possibly even j2re1.4.

I can not find this package

$ apt-cache search j2re1.4
openoffice.org - OpenOffice.org Office suite version 2.0
openoffice.org2 - OpenOffice.org Office suite version 2.0

Can I depend on packages they are not in Debian? This would be new to me.

Bye, Jörg.
Die NASA brauchte 12 Jahre um einen Kugelschreiber zu entwickeln, der
kopfüber, in der Schwerelosigkeit und unter Wasser schreiben kann.
Die Russen benutzten einfach einen Bleistift...