Re: My IP address seems listed as a spammer address by bugs.debian.org

In article <[🔎] 20051120073308.GA14626@djedefre.onera> you write:

owner@bugs.d.o would be the correct place to send this.

>Since yesterday, I'm afraid that my IP address 81.56.227.253 is listed
>on bugs.debian.org among addresses which get a "Go away" answer when
>requesting a specific bug report (http://bugs.debian.org/xxxxxx)

And as of about 9 hours ago the listing was removed.

>>From discussions I had on IRC with Anthony Towns, this seems to be
>caused by numerous requests made by my system to the BTS at regular
>intervals.

The BTS web pages are NOT designed to be abused like that.  We've had
cases where a single IP drove the load average of spohr over 80 and
basicly shut down all bug processing for hours.

As most of the obvious cases where many requests are being made to the
BTS web look like spammers harvesting email addresses, I've been
blocking systems from accessing the BTS more lately.

If you need to access the BTS data from a program, there is an LDAP
interface available and a copy of entire BTS database on one of the
developer accessable machines.

>Is there something I can do for getting my address unlisted (apart
>from again reducing the load I put on b.d.o...which I did again down
>to the lowest acceptable refresh rate on my side)?

owner@bugs is the proper place to send your request.

If you can't use one of the program intfaces listed above for some
reason, put a 5 second sleep between the completion of one request and
sending the next.  That spreads the load out and gives others a chance
to access the BTS.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html