how to deal with screwed up package

Hello.

I'm working on new package for FUSE[1]. Sad to come clean, but I screwed
previous package(s) up. There are plenty of bugs wrt debconf questions and
actions after them. There is also request[2] to simplify or even remove
questions at all.

Now I'm undecided what to do. The idea was to ask user for the group (gid)
that members will be able to use fusermount (sgid). If group was absent,
then postinst script was creating it, and put its name in
/etc/default/fuse-utils. But if chosen group existed already, then its name
is also in mentioned file.

Let's say I'm going to remove debconf questions at all. To keep user's
system clean I should remove chosen group, but... because of some
bugs[3][4][5] it's possible to leave system non-working after that.

What should I do? Is NEWS.Debian file and leaving that mess enough?
I'll be very thankful for any hints/comments.

regards
fEnIo

[1] - http://fuse.sf.net
[2] - http://bugs.debian.org/337572
[3] - http://bugs.debian.org/306281
[4] - http://bugs.debian.org/307624
[5] - http://bugs.debian.org/307627

--
  ,''`.  Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@debian.org | pgp:0x13fefc40 | irc:fEnIo
 : :' :       32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Poland