Re: New version of kernel-package to create image packages using debconf

Hi,

> I'm totally for a -dbg kernel package with an unstripped kernel for
> OProfile, as I use it quite frequently.
>
> I wanted to use OProfile and get kernel stacks on Ubuntu Breezy, so
> ended up recompiling the standard kernel for vmlinux.  To be useful I
> needed to turn on DEBUG_INFO and DEBUG_FRAME_POINTERS, and this gave me
> a 25M vmlinux.  I'd expect DEBUG_INFO could be always on as the symbols
> would be stripped for the production kernel, but I don't think "normal"
> kernels should have frame pointers.

For DEBUG_FRAME_POINTERS, I think this is a limitation of oprofile that
could eventually be worked around. It should technically be possible to
obtain backtraces without frame pointers.

It would be really nice to have the production kernel debuggable,
without too much drawback. It really helps with system profiling.

regards,
	junichi
--
dancer@{debian.org,netfort.gr.jp}   Debian Project