Re: Request: Source for parts of GNU/Solaris

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 06:07:33PM +0100, David Schmitt wrote:
> > [0] Presuming the FSF's claims about dynamic linking hold up in this
> >     case, anyway.
> I consider a Debian-derived distribution a derived work of the contained
> Debian tools in more ways than "mere" dynamic linking.

That doesn't much matter -- Debian doesn't claim any copyright on its
efforts in collecting work, so deriving from Debian doesn't involve any
copyrights but that of the aggregate parts you use.

The relevant parts are the licenses of individual packages that get
linked against OpenSolaris' libc, and whether libc counts as a "module
[the program] contains" and is thus covered as part of the "complete
source code" as part of paragraph 3(a) of the GPL.

> To be more specific: I don't believe that the fact that software A is being
> packaged with Debians tools is a derived work of said tools,

That's not actually the question -- the only "derivative" issue is
that Nexenta's dpkg (eg) is a derivative of Debian's dpkg (or gcc is a
derivative of upstream gcc) and thus covered by the GPL.

The FSF argues (and Debian accepts) that dynamic linking should be legally
treated the same as static linking, and thus that an executable that
would contain libc when statically linked must be treated as "containing"
libc when dynamically linked too. In this case, that's a pretty tenuous
argument, but in other cases it's not so tenuous (linking to OpenSSL for
example) and in such cases it has been an effective argument at getting
libraries relicensed to be GPL compatible (such as for Qt).

(Actually, it's probably worth noting that the core argument -- that
/usr/bin/dpkg "contains" libc and thus that the former can't be
distributed under the GPL without also distributing the source to the
latter under the GPL -- is tenuous enough that actually following
through on the legal threats we've seen could result in the argument
being rejected, giving a precedent for all the folks who'd like to
modify GPLed programs to rely on proprietary libraries.)

> I'd like to add (d) distributing as source only. Compiling the whole thing on
> the users system

Note that compiling Nexenta involves using gcc, so you'd need to
cross-compile from a glibc system, or you'd have the same problem in
that you'd be distributing libc and gcc (which is GPLed and links to
libc) together.

> On other news, private communication by the gnusolaris.org people lead me to
> the conviction that they are internally working on resolving their problems
> with the legalese and we should give them a break. I will keep you informed
> about their progress.

Ugh; giving people a break's a good thing, but doing things in private
and behind closed doors isn't. Participating in Debian in public can be
(unreasonably) rough, but closing yourself up from the community and
having communication bottle necks isn't a win either.

Cheers,
aj