Re: Request: Source for parts of GNU/Solaris

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:48:20 +1000, Anthony Towns
<aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 06:07:33PM +0100, David Schmitt wrote:
>> > [0] Presuming the FSF's claims about dynamic linking hold up in
>> > this
>> >     case, anyway.
>> I consider a Debian-derived distribution a derived work of the
>> contained Debian tools in more ways than "mere" dynamic linking.

> That doesn't much matter -- Debian doesn't claim any copyright on
> its efforts in collecting work, so deriving from Debian doesn't
> involve any copyrights but that of the aggregate parts you use.

        Every single one of my packages has software that is under
 copyright by me, and distributed under various free licenses. So, if
 you derive from Debian, if you happen to use any packages I maintain
 (make? flex?) does indeed involve copyrights  apart from the
 copyright of aggregated works.

>> To be more specific: I don't believe that the fact that software A
>> is being packaged with Debians tools is a derived work of said
>> tools,

        Hmm. What about software  bits of the package (maintainer
 scripts, added utilities, prompting infrastructure ) under copyright
 by Debian developers -- do they count?

        manoj
--
He who has a shady past knows that nice guys finish last.