Re: Debconf problem

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>> I found no way to cleanly solve the problem of
>>
>> - writing the current state into the debconf database, so that
>>   noninteractive installs don't change anything
>>
>> - actually reflect changed answers in the system.
>
> The config script is passed parameters that you can use to tell if it is
> an upgrade or a reconfigure and handle these cases appropriatly.

Sorry for still being dumb.  When it's reconfigure, I have just learned
that the config script is run only once, so I need not handle this case
specially.  But when its an upgrade, it is run twice, and I need to
discriminate between the first pass (check existing permission, db_set,
question will be asked depending on frontend and priority) and the
second pass (no need to check existing permissions, no db_set, question
will not be asked).  As I read debconf-devel(7), the arguments are the
same in both invocations.

Does that mean I must use some hackish handmade flags that are reset
only at the end of the postinst, and thus indicate whether there was a
postinst run after the last config run?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster