Re: per-user temp directories by default?

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 01:42:08 -0500, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> said:

> One problem I have experienced is that if I manually start cups via
> its init script, as root, the cups daemon ends up running as a less
> privliged user that cannot write to /root/tmp, and the failure mode is
> quite horrible (silent failure to print anything).

This could possibly be fixed by having programs fall back on a hardcoded
/tmp if $TMP is not writable. And/or by having init scripts clean up
their environment.

And of course I would consider silent failure to be a bug in CUPS.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA