Re: real-i386

Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> writes:

> Em Qui, 2005-11-03 às 21:39 +0200, Yavor Doganov escreveu:
>> At Thu, 3 Nov 2005 02:38:51 -0800 (PST), Nick Jacobs wrote:
>> > You mean, it's seriously been proposed that a significant amount of
>> > work should be done to restore support for a processor that has not
>> > been manufactured for 10 years? While slightly degrading performance
>> > for the 99.99999% of x86 users who have Pentium/Athlon/or better?
>> Why not supporting it, if it is not so hard?
>
> I think i386 debian arch is not suitable anymore for real-i386 machines
> (self-experience), I mean, it's not suitable even for a Pentium 133 with
> 32 Mb RAM. Ok, I know it works, but it's a waste of memory and CPU
> cycles to run a full glibc-based distro in such restrictive
> environment...

It's also useful for people using x86-type CPUs without the full 686
instruction set - vis. the Via C3 cpu's, in use in a *lot* of systems.

Not having a 386-compatible kernel+libc, just a 686-compatible one, would
mean you couldn't run Debian at all on those machines.

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw@shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml