Re: more tolerant licensing for Debian infrastructure

Scripsit "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org>

> What I was saying is that licensing _only_ under the GPL violates the
> spirit of the DFSG because the DFSG specifically also allows for software
> licenses which are not GPL compatible to be considered free.

What you are saying is still wrong.

The sprit of the DFSG is to allow software that has any DFSG-free
license. "Only under the GPL" *is* a DFSG-free license, and therefore
it is *not* counter to the spirit of the DFSG to licence software
"only under the GPL".

>    Debian, and the free software community at large, is amicably divided
>    between those who under no circumstances want their work used in
>    proprietary software (and who thus favor the GPL) and those who just
>    want their work to be reused as widely as possible (and who thus favor
>    BSD-like licenses).

> I obviously prefer the second group but I too would like to remain
> amicable about it.

Then I would suggest that you do not claim that the first group
"violates the spirit of the DFSG".

--
Henning Makholm                          "I tried whacking myself repeatedly
                                     with the cluebat. Unfortunately, it was