Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

Erast Benson <erast@gnusolaris.org> wrote:
> """The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
> making modifications to it.  For an executable work, complete source
> code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
> associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control
> compilation and installation of the executable.  However, as a special
> exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is
> normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major
> components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
> which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the
> executable."""

"Unless that component itself accompanies the executable". Or, in other
words, the binary (say, bash) can't accompany, say, the C library. You
can quibble over the meaning of the word "accompany", but so far we're
lacking a statement from any of the copyright holders (such as Sun, the
FSF or the thousands of other people who hold copyright over GPLed
software) about what their interpretation is.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org