Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

Erast Benson <erast@gnusolaris.org> wrote:
> """The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
> making modifications to it.  For an executable work, complete source
> code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
> associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control
> compilation and installation of the executable.  However, as a special
> exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is
> normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major
> components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
> which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the
> executable."""

"Unless that component itself accompanies the executable". Or, in other
words, the binary (say, bash) can't accompany, say, the C library. You
can quibble over the meaning of the word "accompany", but so far we're
lacking a statement from any of the copyright holders (such as Sun, the
FSF or the thousands of other people who hold copyright over GPLed
software) about what their interpretation is.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org