Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 06:21:45PM -0800, Alex Ross wrote:
> Nexenta OS: Debian based GNU/Solaris
> ==========================
>
> This is to announce Nexenta: the first-ever distribution that combines
> GNU and OpenSolaris. As you might know, Sun Microsystems just opened
> Solaris kernel under CDDL license, which allows one to build custom
> Operating Systems. Which we did...  created a new Debian based
> GNU/Solaris distribution with (the latest bits of) Solaris kernel &
> core userland inside.

This sounds very interesting.

> The Future
> =======
>
> We do hope that at some point, sooner rather than later, our changes (so
> far for the most part just cleanups to build the DEBs in the new
> Solaris-like environment) will be integrated with the upstream. At the
> end of the day - this would be the right thing to do.

Do you plan to use debian-installer for installation?

Do you plan to submit your port as an official port to Debian once it
stabilizes?  If so, do you plan to use Debian's mailing lists and bug
tracking system for development?

> Contact
> =====
>
> If interested, please send e-mail to <support at nexenta.com>, and
> tell us a few words about yourself. We'll respond with a
> user/password.

I suggest you discuss things on this list (if they are technical) or
debian-project (if they are non-technical).  This will make it much
easier for you to cooperate with the Debian project, if this is your
intention.

cheers,

Michael

--