Re: postinst scripts failing because a new conffile wasn't accepted: Is it a bug?

Benjamin Mesing <ben-ml@gmx.net> wrote:

> Now I have two questions: Is such a feature generally desirable? Is
> there someone willing to give it some thought and implement it (I am
> currently short in time) or should I file a wishlist bug against dpkg?

Yes, I think it *is* desirable;  and in a sense it is already
implemented in ucf with its --three-way option.

On the other hand, the existence of ucf is a big bug in dpkg, anyway,
and finally both functions - ucf's primary purpose, renaming and
moving-to-other-packages of conffiles, and the three-way merge - should
be included in dpkg.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster