Re: Dependencies of -dev packages

I demand that Gabor Gombas may or may not have written...

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:15:28AM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
>> I can see potential problems with that last part regarding upstream
>> developers whose software happens to depend on packages for which
>> pkg-config support remains Debian-specific because upstream doesn't accept
>> the patch. It's possible that the Debian-specific nature of this support
>> may simply not be noticed until bug reports start coming in from users of
>> other distributions...

> Well, the only problem I can see is auto-detection (configure etc.)
> behaving differently. But if we follow the "try pkg-config first, if that
> failed, fall back to what detection technique we have used before"
> approach, then we cannot be more broken than current upstream is.

Providing suitable autoconf macros will help, at least with release tarballs;
you still potentially have the problem with CVS (unless the macros are
duplicated in the package source, typically via inclusion in an m4
directory).

> On the other hand, autodetection is never perfect and bugs always
> happen. But if we can agree that the general direction is good and worth
> pursuing then we can fix bugs as they are found on the way.

I'd say that it is, on condition that these changes are pushed upstream
reasonably quickly.

--
| Darren Salt   | linux (or ds) at | nr. Ashington,
| sarge,        | youmustbejoking  | Northumberland
| RISC OS       | demon co uk      | Toon Army
|   I don't ask for much, just untold riches...

This is a test tagline; please ignore.