pbuilder help (bug 334877)

I'm trying to solve bug 304932/334877.

I can reproduce the build failure using pbuilder, but not when I build
on my own system directly.

I would like to do the pbuilder build and then examine the failing
filesystem, but pbuilder always deletes the build directory, and the
manual gives no clear indication of how to prevent this.  --debug says
that it only avoids cleanup in update and create.

--save-after-login and --save-after-exec only work for those
  particular commands.

Thomas