Re: a few tips on proper use of version tracking in the Debian BTS

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 11:06:14 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 01:44:38AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Closing without a version header retains the traditional semantics of
> > marking the bug closed in all versions.
>
> Two questions:
> 1) once a bug as been closed - erroneously I would say - mailing
>    nnn-done@bugs.debian.org without the "Version:" pseudo header, is
>    there a way to push the version information to the bts?

If the bug is still open in some version of your package, I guess
"found nnn version" would give this information to the bts. You could
probably also use "reopen nnn" together with "close nnn version" if the
bug is only closed in that version of your package.

> 2) AFAICT the bts parses changelog to understand in which version a
>    given bug has been closed. Assume that the version of package p in
>    unstable is x and that I upload version x+2, with two entries in the
>    changelog one for x+1 and for for x+2. Entry x+1 has a closes:#nnn
>    entry. Is this enough for the bts or do I need to mail it as well?

The bugs closed in your upload are determined by the changes file, so
you can use the -vversion switch with dpkg-buildpackage or
dpkg-genchanges to use changelog information for versions version+1 and
version+2.

Cheers,
Julien Cristau