Re: localhost.localdomain

[Jeff Stevens]
> If /etc/hosts were changed to:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
>
> Resolution of 127.0.0.1 would properly return localhost.

Yeah, but that's all beside the point.  There is no point in swapping
the order of the two names unless there be any point in having
"localhost.localdomain" in there at all.

So far, I haven't heard any reason.

In other words, rather than say "here is how we could change the hosts
file so that localhost.localdomain does not cause buggy apps to break",
we are (or should be) asking "why should localhost.localdomain be in
there at all?"

> 2 -- Virtually all systems with a hosts file read something like this:
>         127.0.0.1 localhost <alias> <another alias> <...>
> There is a long historical precedent for listing localhost first,

Well, that's not quite true.  As someone else pointed out earlier, AIX
lists "loopback localhost".  (He said AIX 5.1 or 5.2, but I first
noticed it in 4.1.)  I always thought it was kind of strange and
nonstandard ... but on the other hand, most everything in AIX is kind
of strange and nonstandard.