Re: [Fwd: major problem with gnome-games dependency]

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 09:49:49PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 21:34, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   No, because people like to turn off the installation of
> > recommendations
>
> Or yes, because it offers more flexibility to people who have a basic idea
> of what they are doing.

Those can simply install the pacakges they want. It isn't rocket science.

> > and then file bugs when major functionality is missing
> > from packages :-/.
>
> Bugs that result from stupidity or being clueless can be closed.

Well, if the meta packages description is: "Gives you the full GNOME suite
with all associated programs", which is minus phrasing what the actual
description is, then a recommends would simply by plainly wrong. If you don't
want the "The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components", don't install
gnome. With today's size of a typical harddisk, for 99% of the people such a
package would be exactly what they want. If you have specialized requirements,
like the thread starter, you can put together your own set of packages. Or you
can use debtags, to install "desktop-environment::gnome && !type::game"
(pseudo-syntax).

The main things that this thread shows me, is that it is *not* immediately
clear to people not too familiar with Debian that the removal of the 'gnome'
package will not have *any* effect on what actual software is actually installed
on your system.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar