Re: [Fwd: major problem with gnome-games dependency]

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 20:32 +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 12:10:22PM -0600, Arthur H. Edwards wrote:
> > I work at a government laboratory where computer games are prohibited. I
> > also use the gnome desktop. When I try to remove gnome-games apt wanst
> > to remove gnome because gnome depends on gnome-games. This is really a
> > show-stopper for government use of Linux. Also, I would think that the
> > dependency should work the other way: gnome-games should depend on gnome.
>
> I've always wanted apt to be able to distinguish between a task and a
> metapackage; something like “I want GNOME, but without the games and
> Evolution, please”...

That is what gnome-core is for: just enough of GNOME to be usable, but
no real apps beyond EoG and gedit.  Purposefully created for people who
want to use GNOME, don't want to install all packages manually, but want
some control over what extra packages are installed.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross@burtonini.com