Re: [Fwd: major problem with gnome-games dependency]

"Arthur H. Edwards" <edwardsa@afrl.kirtland.af.mil> writes:

> First, we don't play the games, but they are inventoried, and they can't
> be there. Second, I can, indeed, remove gnome and re-install individual
> packages and waste a fair amount of time. Government computers are a
> fairly large group and I would think that you might want to facilitate
> the use of Linux and of Debian on them by swapping the dependency. If
> not you will be telling each of us to embark on a Rube Goldberg
> installation process.

Removing the "gnome" package does not cause you to remove the
individual packages it depended on.

Swapping the dependency is wrong; gnome-games does not depend on all
of gnome.

The purpose of the "gnome" package is just to be a placeholder for
"all gnome-related packages".  Deleting that package does not delete
the individual packages that it depended on.