/etc/modules and udev (was Re: udev)

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Oct 09, Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> > It seems that the best solution would be to have mountvirtfs split into two
> > parts, one mounts /proc and /sys, the other mounts /dev/pts, /dev/shm (and
> > anything else that might get added under /dev).  This means that
> > under /etc/rcS.d we might have S02mountprocsys and S04mountptsshm so that
> > S03udev can be run between them.
>
> Agreed. This would also allow me to clean up a bit the udev init script.

What about /etc/modules processing?  IMHO it really should be done *before*
udev tries to coldplug, to give the local admin a well-known and very easy
way to load some key modules in the order he wants them loaded.

I just moved S20module-init-tools to S03 (udev is at S04 here), and my
network adapters were brought up in the order I wanted them to.

Yes, I *am* aware I can move interfaces around later or even do intelligent
interface renaming based on MAC addess, etc. But this is orthogonal to the
issue at hand.

  Henrique Holschuh