Re: Effort to change IETF's copying conditions for RFCs

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Unlimited distribution isn't the problem.  Modification and
>> redistribution of modified versions is the problem, and that
>> restriction was apparently

> If the IETF allows modified versions that are *RENAMED*, then it would
> meet the DFSG.  They can even restrict the renaming to "something that
> makes it clear that this is not an RFC, STD, <insert other IETF acronyms
> here>"...

Right, I know.  Apparently it was intentional on the part of the IETF to
not even allow that.  Don't look at me; I think it's a stupid decision.

I'm not saying we can't get them to change it, or that we shouldn't try,
or anything else that discouraging.  I'm just saying that it isn't solely
a misunderstanding or lack of clarity; there really is an underlying
disagreement here.