Re: localhost.localdomain

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005, Pierre Machard wrote:
> Anyway I do not understand why this issue is a problem since we

Because instead of doing this:

127.0.0.1 localost localhost.localdomain

It was done like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Thus changing the canonical name of the loopback interface.  PLEASE do not
do this unless you have *extremely* good reasons to do so.  An untracked DNS
timeout is definately not one.  If you can still reproduce the problem, we
can work on tracking that thing down without the localhost.localdomain.

Add a new loopback interface (say, 127.0.0.2) and name it however you want.
That will not break anything at all, and it allows you to name your system
in whatever way you might want.  This is what d-i should be doing, it is the
maximum compatibility path.

You don't even need to add a new interface if you use iproute instead of
outdated ifconfig crap, and you might get away without even that much (but I
wouldn't try it, I don't think trying to bind a socket to an IP that is not
local (even if it pings because of lo and the /8 netmask) is a very safe
thing to do).

  Henrique Holschuh