new source package producing "old" deb's is not regarded as NEW

(Please note the M-F-T -devel)

Hi,

this week I uploaded a new source package, libkpathsea3, that produces
existing binary packages (libkpathsea3, libkpathsea-dev).  I was
surprised to learn that this package was not subject to NEW processing,
but rather was simply treated as any existing package.

In my case the exact purpose of the package was to replace the old
binary packages that were previously produced by tetex-bin.  But it
might as well be that somebody uploads a NEW package that just happens
to produce an existing binary package that they don't know about.

Furthermore, if the name of the source package changed, this might
indicate that there were some upstream changes.  This could include a
new author, project or even license, and might deserve a look by the
ftp-masters.

What do you think?

Regards, Frank
--