Re: Advices needed for moving {add|remove}-shell from passwd to debianutils

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 03:05:30PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> The plan we draw is the following:

> 1) shadow package maintainers upload passwd which
>    "Depends: debianutils (<= 2.14.3)"
>    this version *still* includes the utilities

> The purpose of 1) is to avoid the removal of passwd during new systems
> installs between 3) and 5) in case both do not happen at the same
> time.

Is that actually likely to happen?  If this is coordinated, surely uploading
the new passwd and debianutils within a day of each other is as easy as
uploading shadow twice?

> A simpler solution could be merging 3) and 5) in a single upload. Then
> the "Depends" in 1) would not be needed.

Yeah, that's one way to ensure the uploads are coordinated. :)