Re: How to prevent a library transition

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le jeudi 29 septembre 2005 à 19:18 +0200, Frank Küster a écrit :
>> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Please don't do that. A library transition breaks packages in unstable
>> > for a while, but if we have both versions, we're going to have to deal
>> > with them for several *years*. That's what happened for libpng, and
>> > believe me, it's a nightmare.
>>
>> Why do you think that we would have to deal with both versions for
>> years?  I expect no problems in compiling and using packages with the
>> new version, even if their upstream is dead for a while.
>
> Then you'll notice that many Debian developers don't rebuild their
> packages against new library versions, even when told to, until the
> package becomes uninstallable.

That's why I asked about the RC'iness of those bugs:  I expect that
after a short while, most packages have been recompiled, and it has
turned out that there are no problems.  Then I submit patches to the
remaining packages' bugs, wait for some time, raise severity, wait
again, NMU, and can remove the old library.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich