Re: Conflicting assignment of priviledged ports on boot

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 09:33:17PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:

> "Mark Brown" <broonie@sirena.org.uk> wrote in message
> [🔎] 20050923202235.GB7209@sirena.org.uk">news:[🔎] 20050923202235.GB7209@sirena.org.uk...
> >In an ideal world dynamic services would have a range of ports reserved
> >for them.  We're quite a way away from an ideal world here.
> There are ports for that.
> All ports above 49151 are designated for local (i.e. client) or dynamic
> (i.e. dynamic servers) use.

Those cannot be used for some RPC server services as some need to run on
"trusted" ports (i.e. <1024) for servers to work together fine. Yes,
not really "trusted" this day and age, but actually necessarily for
compatibity reasons with other (legacy?) UN*X services.

Regards

Javier