Re: localhost.localdomain

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 08:07:54PM +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On 9/23/05, Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> wrote:
> > It appears like MySQL does that. It seems to check the IP address of the
> > connecting client to find the permissions in it's internal `users`
> > table. So it sees "127.0.0.1" and looks up "localhost.localdomain" which
> > it cannot find since it expects "localhost".
>
> Put % in the host field and base authentication on passwords.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/connection-access.html reads:

---------------snip-----------------
# A Host value may be a hostname or an IP number, or 'localhost' to
	indicate the local host.
# You can use the wildcard characters ‘%’ and ‘_’ in Host column values.
	These have the same meaning as for pattern-matching operations performed
	with the LIKE operator. For example, a Host value of '%' matches any
	hostname, whereas a value of '%.mysql.com' matches any host in the
	mysql.com domain.

So 'localhost' means the current host and '%' is a wildcard for other
hosts. IIRC MySQL will not accept '%' if I connect from the same machine
(unless I explicitly connect to an IP on an interface other than 'lo').

And I still wonder where .localdomain comes from. :)

 Christoph
--
~
~