Re: localhost.localdomain

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 02:47:58PM +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:

> ..warning: connect to mysql server foobar: Access denied for user
> 'whoever'@'localhost.localdomain' (using password: YES)

Well, I had seen several machines having "127.0.0.1
localhost.localdomain localhost" in /etc/hosts and running MySQL without
problems, so you could be a bit more specific about how do you get this
error.

> because it expected to resolve 127.0.0.1 to the name "localhost".

Expected by whom?

> Shouldn't it just be "127.0.0.1 localhost"? Or at most
> "127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.$myrealdomain"?

The latter is completely wrong. First, there is no such thing as
"myrealdomain". A machine may have multiple network interfaces, every
interface may have multiple addresses, every address resolving to a
different domain. You cannot even order them in any sensible way.

> Or should it rather be replaced during the installer's network base
> configuration or the `base-config`? Or is the user supposed to change
> "localdomain" to the real domain after the installation? Few people
> actually seem to do that. :)

They don't do that because that's wrong.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences