Re: The Debian package name for the ppc64 architecture is 'ppc64'

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 05:19:17PM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 05-Sep-23 15:54, Sven Luther wrote:
> > (and btw, i may have posted about in favour of ppc64 in the paste, but
> > powerpc64 is indeed what looks best :)
>
> Hello Sven,
>
> six month ago the Debian package name for the ppc64 port was discussed
> on debian-devel and you voted for 'ppc64' in that discussion
> (http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/03/msg01828.html).
>
> A decision for the name 'ppc64' has been made six month ago.
> The main reasons for that decision was that the LSB specifies
> 'ppc64' as the standard package name and that all other distributions
> which have ppc64 packages use that name.
>
> Packages in the Debian archive have started to use that name

And after you unilateraly mass-bug-filling again them.

There is no such thing as a ppc64 archive yet anyway, and apt/dpkg/whatever
need a change for multi-arch anyway, so things are open.

> in many places after that decision, e.g. 'dpkg', 'apt', 'gcc-4.0'
> and many others. About 95% of the 'unstable' distribution have
> been compiled for the ppc64 architecture using that name.

Which is all useless to us in the current state, as we discussed previously.

Friendly,

Sven Luther