Re: Patch²: Maintaining a patch for a debian package

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 03:10:34PM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:03:08PM +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:32:48AM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> >> I got an issue though, but I think it is related to glibc itself:
> >> after installing the built source packages, aptitude/apt-get
> >> absolutely want to upgrade them with the binary versions:
> ::: The following packages will be upgraded:
> :::   libc6 libc6-dbg libc6-dev libc6-prof

> >> Is this normal?

>> It is if you've not updated the changelog to be a new version, as
>> apt-get will prioritise remote versions of a package over currently
>> installed versions, if the metadata differs (as it will when you
>> rebuild a package locally)

> That's annonying: I'm trying to have the package automatically
> updated. apt-src can take care of auto-applying the local changes
> during a package upgrade. However it won't be able to automatically
> upgrade the version in changelog (and if it did, it would probably
> conflict with the next security upgrade version).

> Is there a way to automatically update a locally modified package, or
> can't we avoid a manual processing?

You could use dch -i to increment the version, or dch -n to increment
the NMU version.

You could hack dch to have a --local-build switch, which increments the
Debian version by 0.0.0.1 and will therefore be greater than the source
you built, and less than a bin-NMU of the package. And then send the
patch as a wishlist bug to devscripts. I think it'd be generally useful,
to be honest.

Your other choice is just to place local packages on hold. Then when an
upgrade is available, they will be listed in apt-get's upgrade list as
'held' packages, and you'll know it's time to rebuild.  (I don't know
how to automate this last bit. Exercise for the reader. ^_^)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/