Re: Conflicting assignment of priviledged ports on boot

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 02:36:55PM +0200, Gernot Salzer wrote:
> Starting ypbind later during boot is no solution in general since some
> services rely on ypbind AND fixed priviledged ports.
> Possible solutions are:
>
> - Modify portmap/bindresvport such that certain blacklisted
>   ports are skipped even if they are not yet in use when a
>   new priviledged port ist requested.

Portmap cannot be modified like that, as it only maps ports used by
applications, the applications themselves call bindresvport.
So this change actually means changing the libc which the libc maintainer
is against, and for good reasons (more rationale on RH's Buzgilla: #103401
and #154800).

FWIW, this bug has only been reported once (and reassigned to portmap)
see #261484 so its seems Debian users don't get beaten by this too often.

> I propose to modify Debian in this way.

Yes, probably portreserve is the way to go. Although it might make sense to
coordinate this with other distros. In any case, this means changing
a number of packages (cupsys, IMAP/POP3 daemons, Ldap daemons) that
need to use RPC services and start _after_ those in the init sequence.
Maybe when somebody goes ahead and adds initscripts dependencies, as suggested
by Petter Reinholdtsen for LSB 3.0 compliance, we can have a good
understanding of what packages would need to be changed.

Regards

Javier