Re: Easy third-party package installer for debian-based distributions

IMHO, the 'right' solution to do this is to have some file whcih describes
a normal apt archive and the package in it to install, and double clicking
it adds it to your apt sources, updates, and installs the package using apt,
then upgrades will be handled normally with update-notifier et al.

IIRC someone was working on this quite a while ago but I don't know what
happened, and of course, some people are concerned with the security of
this etc (altho I personally think its a good idea)

Trent