Re: Managing users and groups within multiple devel chroots.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:12:54PM -0700, Rob Browning wrote:
> Is it possible to configure a set of chroots (woody, sarge, whatever)
> so that all of the chroot passwd/group DBs will stay in sync with each
> other and with the host DB automaticall, so that, for example, a
> useradd, usermod, or userdel, will automatically affect all of the DBs
> simultaneously and safely?

>From the adduser/addgroup manpage:

  If the file /usr/local/sbin/adduser.local exists, it will be executed
  after the user account has been set up in order to do any local setup.
  The arguments passed to adduser.local are: username uid gid
  home-directory, and the environment variables DEBUG and VERBOSE will be
  set according to the settings in the master program.

You can use this to execute the same adduser/addgroup command in the
chroot. While this doesn't guarantee that the different files are 100% in
sync, I think it'll get close enough for practical usage.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯