Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Thursday 08 September 2005 20:24, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 04:53:12PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 September 2005 16:21, Sven Luther wrote:
> > --cut--
> >
> > > Yeah, well, i did an apt-get install star and looked at the copyright
> > > file, so i am not sure what facts i have to believe then.

> > > Ah, ok, nice to know.
> >
> > Note that the latest upstream development version is star-1.5a67.tar.gz
> > [1] and is CDDL licensed with the following slight modifications:
>
> Which constitutes a trademark violation at the very least (it's not
> the CDDL any more) and quite probably a copyright one (the CDDL isn't
> modifiable).

Interestingly enough he has already been told that he violates the CDDL itself
[1]. Also a good dispute starts here (as mentioned by someone above) [2] and
what I was surprised was the vigorous pushing of star and cddl into the obsd
tree.

So there are at least two kind of problems with cddl:
*modifications in a weird way - which doesn't fit into the spirit of BSD
*choice-of-venue and choice-of-law - floating sandy layers which could be
dangerous for anyone on the Earth IMHO.

[1] http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2005-02/0407.html
[2] http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2005-02/thread.html#399

I feel that the author will convert sooner or later smake and cdrecord to cddl
as a part of his anti-GPL campaign.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB