Re: Debian package and OpenSSL stuff

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 07:07:02PM +0200, Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester wrote:
>   Hi,
>   I heard OpenSSL's license is incompatible with GPL. Does this apply to
> binary package only or both binary and source package?
>   The thing is, the library I'm packaging can use both libcrypto (from
> OpenSSL) and libgcrypt, using ifdef. The binary package is built with
> libgcrypt support only.
>   Should I remove OpenSSL support in the source, or is it okay to leave
> it?
>   Regards,

IANAL, but AIUI, you don't need to remove the support.  Say, for
example, I have a program that can compile with both g++ and VC++, and
it accomplishes this through the use of preprocessor directives.
Assuming that there are not other issues (e.g., licensing), this
software can go into main if I can build it and link to only other
things in main.  I don't need remove the VC++ support to make it more
free, I simply ignore it.  I believe that the same would apply to your
package.  If you are only linking to ligcrypt (regardless of the code's
ability to link to alternate implementations), it is main and so you are
OK.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez