Re: Bug#325643: libcurl and moc
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Cc: Damian Pietras <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Miernik <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Bug#325643: libcurl and moc
- From: Domenico Andreoli <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:16:28 +0200
- Message-id: <20050902091628.GA26744@raptus.dandreoli.com>
- Mail-followup-to: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Damian Pietras <email@example.com>, Miernik <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20050901194016.GC28686@frodo.home.lxtec.de>
- References: <Pine.LNX.email@example.com> <20050901194016.GC28686@frodo.home.lxtec.de>
On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 09:40:17PM +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 the mental interface of Daniel Stenberg told:
> > The problem you have with libcurl and OpenSSL/GnuTLS is not strictly an
> > "upstream problem".
> > In the curl project there are some ideas floating around that are being
> > discussed on how this could be fixed for Debian (and other distros) but that is
> > only because they don't do it themselves, it is not because it is an actual
> > problem in the curl camp. It is more of an indirect annoyance.
> > Also, discussions are only talk. There is no fix or solution in the work for
> > the nearest period of time. Everyone's invited to come help sort it out.
> > In my view, there's only one available work-around for the short to mid term,
> > and that is to use a separate .so file for libcurl built with GnuTLS.
> My resume on Daniels point of view is to get a different .so name
> for gnutls in the very short term and kick off ssl in Debian apps
> midterm! Note, this will _not be done upstream_! This is not as hard
> as Marco's demand, but we have to do it in that way. There are some
> curl based packages like oggvorbistools, moc etc which are at the
> moment uninstallable and herewith I invite Domenico to provide a
> package where gnutls and ssl can exist beside in one installation.
> For me, as a not much experienced voluntary I'll spend some spare
> time to understand the technique on how to do that and hopefully can
> assist Domenico to create a package.
ok, we are hooked into the libflac6 transition, let's start the curl one.
my wish is to upload curl 7.14.1 with the following package layout:
- curl (OpenSSL, linked to libcurl-openssl.so.3)
- libcurl3 (GnuTLS, soname: libcurl.so.3)
- libcurl3-openssl (OpenSSL, soname: libcurl-openssl.so.3)
- libcurl3-gssapi (OpenSSL, MIT Kerberos 5)
- libcurl3-dev (OpenSSL, depends: libssl-dev)
- libcurl3-openssl-dev (GnuTLS, depends: libgnutls-dev)
this way libcurl3 and libcurl3-openssl can be contemporarily installed.
curl command line depends on package libcurl3-openssl. BTW, is
libcurl3-openssl legal or it should be libcurl-openssl3?
any more comments?
-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936 4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50