Re: Any reason why libmotif3 vanished for Sparc

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> I just noticed that libmotif3 vanished for Sparc architecture from the
> non-free archive.
[...]
> I know that it was there formerly because I once got it without any extra
> lines in my sources.list file.  Now the Sparc port can be found at

>    http://ftp.unixdev.net/pub/debian-udev/pool/non-free/o/openmotif/

This is a version with security issues.

> but I wonder what might be the reason to drop this single archive from the
> non-free mirrors?

Hello,
Iirc there's a security-related bug in the version in etch and the
missing binary on sparc blocked migration of the fixed package.

libmotif3 is non-free and not-autobuilt, it requires somebody with
access to a sparc machine to build it manually. Sadly this seems to be
made difficult by a FTBFS on sparc, http://bugs.debian.org/323798
                cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"