Re: a place for a package directory in root

Joerg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> writes:

> sean finney <seanius@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 12:53:09PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>>> /run/bootchart, but there seems to be some resistance to actually trying to
>>> standardize on /run :)
>> what about /dev/shm?
>> 	sean
>
> Is it available _before_ init is started?
>
> Jörg.

Nothing is available before init is started, init is always the first
thing to start, even on initrd or initramfs (some archs call init
linuxrc though).

If you are running from the initrd already then that is writeable
nowadays I think. You have to retrieve the file after pivot_root
though.

If it runs after the pivot_root then /run or /dev/shm is a good
place. You just have to mount them before or in bootchart.

MfG
        Goswin