Re: removing /etc/hotplug.d/ support

On Aug 24, Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> wrote:

> Two points:
>
>  - I am tired of having to revamp the hotplugging framework every
> other month;
Not a great point. There has been exactly one other change in the
hotplug API in the past, and it started long ago with a very long
transition period: switching from map files to hotplug.d/.

>  - I don't want to see udev being forced upon our users if a clear,
> working and transparent upgrade path is not provided for each new
> version of udev from now on.
When I asked the udev maintainer about this, he replied that he does not
believe that it will be an issue in the future.
We are not even at the step of requiring udev for everything, only for
less than ten packages which require some special hotplug support.
It's something which has to happen anyway before etch is frozen, so
unless there are really good reasons to postpone it it may be a good
idea to start now.

> If only upstream could be a bit more stable. What are we going to get
> next month ? Ah yes, usbfs being deprecated in favor of udev and sysfs.
udev is just following kernel changes...
I understand that /dev/bus/usb/ does not even requires udev.

--
ciao,
Marco