Re: removing /etc/hotplug.d/ support

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:

[/etc/hotplug.d being deprecated in favour of udev RUN rules]

> I'd like to know your opinion about speeding up the transition and
> removing right now support for hotplug.d/ in your packages, making them
> depend on udev.

Two points:

 - I am tired of having to revamp the hotplugging framework every
other month;

 - I don't want to see udev being forced upon our users if a clear,
working and transparent upgrade path is not provided for each new
version of udev from now on.

To be honest, I installed a laptop the other day, and udev works well
on it (sarge with a 2.6.12 kernel); but I probably won't be able to
upgrade the kernel without running into problems with udev, which is a
total pain.

udev RUN rules at least guarantee that the device node exists when the
script is run, which is definitely an improvement.

If only upstream could be a bit more stable. What are we going to get
next month ? Ah yes, usbfs being deprecated in favor of udev and sysfs.

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>

 Public key available on <http://www.jblache.org> - KeyID: F5D6 5169