Re: More pbuilder use!

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 05:28:22PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 12:06:41PM -0300, Humberto Massa Guimarães wrote:
> > I vehemently disagree. I think exactly the opposite: debbuild and/or
> > dpkg-buildpackage should *always* build a package inside a clean and
> > minimal chroot jail. This way, (1) every package will predictably
> > build from (unchanged) source and (2) every variation that the user
> > *wants* in his package becomes documented in the debian/* files.
>
> You have a linux kernel ready, which allows chroot as normal user?
> Please share it with us.

Not a kernel feature, but see

  http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/schroot

(or check out

  http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/schroot/?cvsroot=buildd-tools)

I have patches to make sbuild use schroot for building.

  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/buildd-tools-devel/2005-July/000063.html

I have been using sbuild to build all my packages for upload for several
months now.  It certainly does avoid "brown paper bag" uploads, and I
definitely think it significantly improves the quality of my packaging
work due to catching other bugs (additional/missing packages installed
on the host system intefering with the build).

Future plans include

- LVM snapshot support (easy)
- Xen support (also using LVM snapshots) (harder--you can't just open
  a shell, AFAICS)

which will mean sbuild (and hence buildd) can start with a clean
environment for each build, and at the end, you just throw away the
snapshot.

Regards,
Roger

--