Re: vancouver revisited

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:05:59AM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Le Lun 22 Août 2005 10:29, Peter 'p2' De Schrijver a écrit :
> > This is still somewhat arch specific code as it assumes iopl and the
> > availability of an isa bus. I'm more thinking of packages which
> > require a lot of RAM to build and run and are thus useless on archs
> > which generally don't have that much RAM for example.
> for that part I agree with you. I can't understand that packages like
> mozilla are built on all arch. most m68k/arm platforms are so slow,
> that even running a simple encrypted connection eats a lot of CPU ...

(Note that the problem with SSH2 requiring minutes to be set up to crest
had everything to do with optimization problems of the Diffie-Hellman
algorithm on 68060 machines, not the CPU not being able to handle it --
slower 68040 CPUs can set up a connection in far less time than that,
and 68060 machines without DH key exchange do, too)

> but well, I suppose the line is hard to draw.

Exactly, and that is why we don't try.

I agree with you that mozilla is probably fairly useless on m68k. But if
you start excluding packages, you'll fairly soon end up on a slipperly
slope where you start excluding packages, and in the end you don't build
any useful stuff anymore.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond