Re: README - confusing, irrelevant, redundant, useless

I demand that Henning Makholm may or may not have written...

[snip]
> There is a fairly widespread convention of putting compilation instructions
> in an INSTALL file, but there is no similarly widespread convention for
> putting information about, say, "you'll need these libraries",

ISTM that INSTALL is the proper place for this, or at least for the detailed
version.

> "here is what this program can be used for"

README. Or at least that's where I'd put it.

> or "here is how tarball users should report bugs" in other files than
> README.

README isn't unreasonable, but I see that there is some usage of BUGS for
this. A few packages differ here, using different names: groff-base
(BUG-REPORT) and apsfilter (HOWTO-BUGREPORTS).

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt   | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| sarge,        | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS       | Toon Army      | demon co uk          Say NO to UK ID cards
|                                                       http://www.no2id.net/

Everything should be transparent to the user.