Re: README - confusing, irrelevant, redundant, useless

On Mon, August 15, 2005 01:42, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> Why not just help improve upstream's README when you encounter poor
> quality work?  That's what you'd do with code, wouldn't you?

Requirements on upstream README and information that's useful within
Debian differ. It often contains information about building, installation
or bug reporting which is not relevant to Debian.

It is not said that upstream README's are useless per se; I think
W.Borgert's point is the following: judge each upstream README on its own
merits. I agree that currently many people will automatically install this
README in the /u/s/doc dir, regardless of its contents, while it would
make more sense to make a judgement whether including it actually adds
value.

Thijs